Maps & Directions
Campus & City
Facilities and student services buildings
Professional services buildings
Halls of Residence
- A - Anglesea Building
- BK - Buckingham Building
- BB - Burnaby Building
- BT - Burnaby Terrace
- DS - Dennis Sciama Building
- EL - Eldon Building
- HT - Hampshire Terrace
- IMS - Institute of Marine Sciences (Eastney)
- JWW - James Watson West
- JPC - John Pounds Centre
- KH - King Henry Building
- LG - Lion Gate Building
- ML - Milldam Building
- NU EX - Nuffield Exam Hall
- PK - Park Building
- PO - Portland Building
- PD - Purple Door
- RV - Ravelin House
- RB - Richmond Building
- RO - Rotunda
- SB - Spinnaker Building
- SA - St. Andrew's Court
- SG - St. George's Building
- SM - St. Michael's Building
- SPK - Spinnaker Sports Centre / Exam Hall
- STP - St. Paul's Sports Centre / Exam Hall
- TEMP 1-4 - Temporary Teaching 1-4
- TEMP 5-6 - Temporary Teaching 5-6
- UB - Union Building
- UL - University Library
- WBB - William Beatty Building
- WB - Wiltshire Building
- London Waterloo (1hr 30mins) or London Victoria (2hrs 10mins)
- Bristol (2hrs) and South Wales (3hrs 15mins)
- Frequent South Coast services to Southampton, Bournemouth and Brighton
National Rail has more information.
Portsmouth and Southsea Station (the main station for Portsmouth) is within walking distance from all buildings on the Guildhall Campus.
- Heathrow Airport (1hr 30 mins by road via A3(M)/M25) for all international connections
- Gatwick Airport (1hr 30 mins by road, 1hr 36 mins by rail) for international connections
- Southampton International Airport (30 mins by road via M275/M27) for regular flights to Paris, Cherbourg, the Channel Islands, Belfast, Glasgow
- London (2hrs via A3(M))
- M25 London orbital (1hr via A3(M))
- Bristol (2hrs via M27/A36) onwards to South Wales
- Birmingham (3hrs via A34/M40)
Please note that you must display a visitor's parking permit to park in any University car park - more information can be found below.
Due to limited parking availability on our city centre campus, we cannot reserve parking spaces for our interview candidates. Separate parking arrangements are made for our large recruitment events, such as Open Days.
We would encourage you to use public transport where possible. The University is a gentle 10 minute walk from Portsmouth & Southsea train station, and National Express coaches have nearby coach stops. Car parking is available in all public city centre car parks for a small charge, as well as on the roads using parking meters.
Portsmouth’s park-and-ride offers a quick, easy way into Portsmouth at a cost of £3.50 per vehicle. Located on the M275 at the entrance to the city, with 650 spaces and buses every 12 minutes, it’s a convenient way to visit Portsmouth.
To Guildhall Campus
Take the M275 into Portsmouth (signed 'Portsmouth West') whether approaching from the east (A3(M)/A27) or the west (M27 Junction 12). NB if approaching from A3(M)/A27 ignore junctions signed to Southsea and Hilsea.
From the end of the M275, follow signs for 'Historic Waterfront/Seafront'. This takes you across three roundabouts to traffic lights by Unicorn Gate (entrance to the naval dockyard).
These are the traffic lights at the top of the Guildhall Campus map - the route taken from here depends on your destination.
To Langstone Campus
Take the A2030 Eastern Road into Portsmouth (signed 'Portsmouth East') whether approaching from the east (A3(M)/A27) or the west (M27). NB if approaching from M27 ignore junction signed to M275.
Continue along the A2030 through several sets of traffic lights to the junction by Liningtons Renault Garage. Turn left along Milton Road keeping in the left lane. After the zebra crossing take the fourth road left into Locksway Road just before the next set of traffic lights. Continue along Locksway Road and turn left into Furze Lane.
There are regular daily direct coach services to London (for countrywide connections), Bristol (for West Country/South Wales), Birmingham (the Midlands and North), Heathrow and other locations. These services all call at The Hard Interchange by Portsmouth Harbour railway station. From here the Guildhall Campus is a short taxi ride or a 15 minute walk away (see Portsmouth map).
National Express has more information.
- Daily sailings to France: Cherbourg (car ferry or fast catamaran), Caen/Ouistreham, Le Havre, St Malo
- Twice weekly service to Spain (Bilbao)
- Frequent daily services to the Isle of Wight by hovercraft, passenger catamaran, passenger/car ferry
- Frequent daily services to Portsmouth via Gosport passenger ferry
University Bus Service
There is a dedicated University bus and minibus service available during term-time only travelling between the main Guildhall Campus and the Langstone Campus between 08:15 and 17:30.
Bus and minibus timetable
Portsmouth and the surrounding areas are well covered by regular bus services. The main bus station is at The Hard Interchange, right on the edge of Portsmouth Harbour, where local and intercity buses operate from.
The terrain of Portsmouth is mostly flat, so can be easy to walk and cycle around with numerous footpaths and cycleways throughout the city.
University car parks
There are various University car parks but please note that to park in any University car park you must display a visitor's parking permit, available from departments. More information about University car parking can be found here
To assist with the City's mobility policy, students living in the University's halls of residence are requested not to keep a car in Portsmouth. Students are encouraged to walk, use buses or bicycles. Bicycles are a popular form of transport in Portsmouth as the terrain is virtually flat!
Annual parking permits are available for members of staff. Staff who only require parking on an occasional basis may use daily visitor permits.
A number of parking spaces are reserved each day until 10.00 (on a first come first served basis) for staff and students who are the primary carers for pre-school children.